Pastel de pollo is a dish made with chicken, vegetables, and a pastry crust. It is a common dish in many Latin American and Spanish-speaking countries. To make pastel de pollo, you will need:
- 2 cups of cooked, shredded chicken
- 1 cup of diced vegetables (such as carrots, peas, and potatoes)
- 1/2 cup of chicken broth or water
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- 2 tablespoons of flour
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 sheets of puff pastry or pie crust dough
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C).
- In a saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the flour and stir until a paste forms.
- Gradually add the chicken broth or water, stirring constantly, until the mixture thickens.
- Add the shredded chicken and diced vegetables to the saucepan and season with salt and pepper. Stir until the vegetables are tender and the mixture is well combined.
- Transfer the chicken and vegetable mixture to a baking dish.
- Roll out the puff pastry or pie crust dough to a thickness of about 1/8 inch. Cut the dough into strips or use a cookie cutter to cut out shapes.
- Arrange the strips or shapes on top of the chicken and vegetable mixture in a decorative pattern.
- Bake the pastel de pollo in the preheated oven for 25-30 minutes, or until the pastry is golden brown.
- Allow the pastel de pollo to cool for a few minutes before serving. Enjoy!